Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Doctors Appointment

Today I saw a clinical pain psychologist that every patient at the Salt Lake Pain Clinic ran by the University of Utah School of Medicine are to see, that was the same old initial consultation. Fairly un-interesting, didn't learn anything. But I'm excited to learn how to put myself into a self-induced hypnotic state because I would have NEVER of thought of that; also I get to learn about bio-feedback which I know virtually nothing about.

However the past couple of days have seen a general increase in the average level of pain from on average a 5 or 6 (on a scale of 1-10) to 6 to a 7. Plus the pain quality itself is getting worse, and the pain medications are hardly denting the pain, if at all. My only hope, it would seem, is to pace. It seems to take my mind off the pain a little bit, but not particularly. Also because of the worsening pain I have temporarily stopped my excercises and that in itself is making me quite depressed.

On a second note, I would like to comment on the existence of God: God has no proof of existence, and by the positivist view that would mean that He does not exist. However, having proof in something does not PROVE its not real-it just means that you don't have any proof. Thus, it is in the nature of science that you prove hypothesis FALSE, not true-and since there is also no evidence AGAINST the existence of God one cannot say scientifically there IS no God. But on the same stance one cannot scientifically suggest the existence of God since there is no evidence to SUPPORT the hypothesis. Same goes for werewolves, vampires, aliens, flying unicorns with only three legs...etc. It would seem, at the time being, the existence (or for that matter, the IN-existence) of God depends soley on faith. In this respect I am agnostic since I would suggest that one cannot prove or disprove the existence of God. I would not say I am athiest OR theist per se though. I suppose an appropriate title would be an apologetic theist because if there is a God one should be able to PROVIDE evidence for it; the fact that we don't have any NOW (only indirect I suppose like the "Missing Links" from evolution that would POINT to creationism, not necessarily support it) does not bother me because I feel that science would in the future (if at all.) Thus, as an extension and as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I feel that scientific evidence should back up any spiritual claims made by the Church (or any other church-known or unknown) eventually in the future. This would seem to counter the point of faith, but my reasoning is if the existence of God is REALLY truth then scientific evidence should not contradict that result (as so far it has not; as for the foundations of the LDS church itself the recent DNA evidence against the Book of Mormon is slightly interesting, however its an original result and I'm still waiting for other results to back it up before making a determination.)

1 comment:

Artiste Inexprimé - Unspoken Artist said...

Wow, honey! Interesting thoughts as always (I liked your vampire connection, good point.) It's nice to read them for once, not that chatting isn't fun aswell. I'm sorry to hear about the rise in pain. :( We're going to have to do something about that when I get back... Keep on blogging!